We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Recently, strawberries Elsanta are gaining more and more popularity among summer residents and gardeners, the description of the variety of which allows us to understand that it was bred in the Netherlands in 1981 as a result of crossing the Holiday and Gorella berries. This strawberry has become a kind of standard, since it fits almost all the criteria that gardeners present to such a berry.
Elsant strawberries are characterized primarily by high yields, as well as the following parameters:
- A small number of mustaches and rosettes appear on the bushes.
- Berries have a wide conical shape, just look at their photo for this. In addition, strawberries have a strong sheen, so it is often called "varnished."
- The first fruits of the berries have light tips, and the flesh can have a bright pink or bright red hue.
- The size of strawberries of this variety can be both medium and large. The average weight of berries is 40-45 g.
- Berries have an average ripening period.
- Strawberries have a very pronounced taste and increased juiciness.
- Productivity reaches 2 kg per plant.
- The stem of the berries comes off very easily.
- Strawberries have a good density. Therefore, it well tolerates transportation over long distances and is stored at room temperature for 2-3 days.
- This strawberry variety is highly resistant to all kinds of spotting, including brown and white. However, to powdery mildew, this variety of berries is quite susceptible. But you need to consider that the plant is prone to rotting of the roots, which is why moderate watering and properly selected soil are so important.
- Elsant strawberry bushes are medium in size. They grow well in film tunnels. This variety is suitable for planting in open ground.
- Strawberries are not very cold resistant. Therefore, in the winter season, it will be necessary to make shelters and mulch the soil.
Strawberry Elsanta: variety description
Planting and growing rules
According to reviews of gardeners and summer residents, it is best to plant this variety of strawberries in the fall. The fact is that if you leave this work in the spring, then the fruits will have small dimensions. At the same time, it is not worth starting planting bushes earlier than September. The optimal time for this is the beginning of October.
Elsanta garden strawberries should be planted in moist soil, and it is important to observe the distance between the bushes during this process. It should be about 40 cm. It is best to use the two-way method. The distance between the rows of strawberries should not be less than 25 cm. After planting a seedling, it is important to carefully compact the ground around it. This must be done so that after some time the roots of the plant do not crawl out, because this will lead to their freezing.
After planting all the bushes, you will need to water the beds abundantly.
Fertilize the berry is not worth it. The fact is that this can lead to a deterioration in productivity.
In addition, fertilizers can adversely affect the shape of the berries, which is highly undesirable. And one more minus of top dressing of this kind of strawberry is a decrease in its resistance to most negative factors. So, strawberries, which are regularly fertilized, begin to quickly fade during intense heat. The same bushes that do not feed, easily withstand the summer heat. Gardeners are advised to resort to the use of fertilizers only in the third year, when the bushes are grown to pick berries for the last time.
As is clear from the description of the varieties of this strawberry, it is very important to maintain an optimum moisture level in the soil of the beds. So, after planting in the first 10 days, you need to water the bushes sparingly, but almost every day. Then another 10 days is required to moisten the soil profusely, but with an interval of several days. After this, the seedlings can be prepared for winter by mulching and taking care of shelter for them from the film.
With the onset of spring, you will need to weed the beds. It is important to remove all weeds, and then proceed to frequent watering. When the berry begins to bear fruit, often and abundantly moisten the soil is not necessary, but you need to ensure that it does not completely dry.
How to plant strawberries
Having studied the description of the Elsanta variety, it is not difficult to understand that this strawberry is a good option for planting in a country house or garden. She will delight with her unpretentiousness and a good harvest. It will meet all expectations and taste of the strawberry Elsant.